So today after work I headed over to Spokane to visit Blair, Sammy and the Elks for Taco Tuesday! After hearing Blair's description of life in the trailer park I had to go and experience it for myself. As I pulled into the lot Blair and her massive Mastiff Sammy came out to great me! I was given the grand tour of the their "Home Sweet Trailer" which was actually not a bad set up, it was much more spacious than I had imagined. We then headed into the lodge for those famous 1$ Tacos and a cold Budweiser. We were warmly greeted and Blair introduced me to all her new friends, who were happy to share their table and some stories. As we dined on our tasty tacos 4-5 older gentlemen strapped on guitars, electric, acoustic, and one with a harmonica and began to play and sing some old country songs I was completely unfamiliar with (except for a few Johnny Cash classics). It was really one of the most fun and entertaining meals I've had since I've been here. After dinner we bellied up to the bar where the fabulous bartender made us one of the stiffest White Russians I've ever had and Blair and I played a handful of "pull-tabs" which according to our friend Emily are all the rage in the Midwest. (they're kinda like scratch-it lottery games, but without the scratching). I had never heard of them, neither had Blair so of course we had to try our hand at it. Alas the "Ice queen" struck again and no big winners for us. Half way through my mostly vodka white russian I realized it was 7 o'clock on a Tuesday and I was drunk! Blair and I retired to her trailer where she made me some toast and we chatted for a few hours while I sobered up. As my evening with Blair and the Elks came to a close I can tell she's in good company and I am very happy she's well taken care of by some very friendly and kind hearted people. I'm super glad we have a least few weeks to hang out together before the next leg of our clinical journey begins. So raise a glass for the Elks of Spokane and cheers to cheap food, stiff drinks and good friends!
a PA student on the road learning the "Art" of medicine. This blog will chronicle my trials and tribulations along the way.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Meeting the Elks
So today after work I headed over to Spokane to visit Blair, Sammy and the Elks for Taco Tuesday! After hearing Blair's description of life in the trailer park I had to go and experience it for myself. As I pulled into the lot Blair and her massive Mastiff Sammy came out to great me! I was given the grand tour of the their "Home Sweet Trailer" which was actually not a bad set up, it was much more spacious than I had imagined. We then headed into the lodge for those famous 1$ Tacos and a cold Budweiser. We were warmly greeted and Blair introduced me to all her new friends, who were happy to share their table and some stories. As we dined on our tasty tacos 4-5 older gentlemen strapped on guitars, electric, acoustic, and one with a harmonica and began to play and sing some old country songs I was completely unfamiliar with (except for a few Johnny Cash classics). It was really one of the most fun and entertaining meals I've had since I've been here. After dinner we bellied up to the bar where the fabulous bartender made us one of the stiffest White Russians I've ever had and Blair and I played a handful of "pull-tabs" which according to our friend Emily are all the rage in the Midwest. (they're kinda like scratch-it lottery games, but without the scratching). I had never heard of them, neither had Blair so of course we had to try our hand at it. Alas the "Ice queen" struck again and no big winners for us. Half way through my mostly vodka white russian I realized it was 7 o'clock on a Tuesday and I was drunk! Blair and I retired to her trailer where she made me some toast and we chatted for a few hours while I sobered up. As my evening with Blair and the Elks came to a close I can tell she's in good company and I am very happy she's well taken care of by some very friendly and kind hearted people. I'm super glad we have a least few weeks to hang out together before the next leg of our clinical journey begins. So raise a glass for the Elks of Spokane and cheers to cheap food, stiff drinks and good friends!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay for having fun...and on a school night! ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhen we went to Minnesota (about 10 years ago), we went to the Eagles lodge with Grandpa Kriss. I didn't really drink (still don't) and the only drink I knew that was tasty was a White Russian. Well, guess what I did! I bought a few Pull-Tabs and won the jackpot of $200!! I tipped the pull-tab girl, bought everyone drinks, and got so drunk I puked....um, big surprise huh? ;-)
Yeah for Pull-Tabs! Next time you will have to go to a meat raffle...haha. Just you wait until you come to MN, you will be in for a treat!
ReplyDelete