Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Halfway through


So I've reached the halfway point for this rotation and still can't believe how fast it's gone and how much I learned in such a short period. Today I spent the day with the ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) Nurse Practioner Mr. McDivit. He is fantastic, funny, super knowledgeable and a great teacher. I watched him do a layrngoscope exam and watched the vocal cords move as the patient said "eeeeeeee" and "aaaaaaaaaa" it was very, very cool. I also learned how to do the Dix hall-pike maneuver for BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) which started a long and interesting conversation about dizziness and nystagmus (eye bouncing) and all the different kinds of things you can tell from putting people in certain positions and watching their eyes.... AMAZING!!! I also will be getting the opportunity to watch tonsil/adenoidectomy, ear tube and cleft palate surgery right before I leave because the ENT surgeon who volunteers to come up here and do ENT surgeries 2x year (FOR FREE) will be here the day before and the day I leave. So I am extremely excited about that!
Well better get back to studying, I was given a book and 4 articles to read tonight about "practical management of the dizzy patient" so tomorrow I will be better informed on the subject and ask some more "good questions". Here is what I got to see in person (this is however NOT the actual exam I witnessed, I just thought it was a good example to see what I saw )


1 comment:

  1. WOW! That video is so cool!

    I also cannot believe you're already half way done!!! Holy poop!!! I hope the next few weeks are fun and go as quickly as the first three have. Me love you!

    ReplyDelete