Saturday, September 11, 2010

ED madness!!!

I am LOVING the ED (even if it is just the fast track side). There are 10 PA's and 3 Doc's that I have been working with for the past 4 weeks and they all are amazing teachers! Each one takes lot's of time to discuss great teaching points with me, I don't get "pimped" very often and even when I do it's for my benefit rather than to punish or embarrass me. The medic's are all really supportive and happy to help me find things and with procedures (except for one who I think hates his life and everyone else, so at least it's not just me). The best part is being the only student around, so when cool things to do or see come in the medic's or the PA themselves will come find me.
The coolest stuff I've done and seen so far is ( in no particular order):
Cathed a 3yr old girl - Successfully placing my first IV without help or hesitation - removing a small rubber block from a 2yr old boys nose - I & D'ing lot's of squirting gross abscess's - Every set of sutures - seeing a patient with osteogenesis imperfecta (their blue sclera is amazing) - watching a 4yr old be sedated with Ketamine - The first time I called a consult - Finding a fracture missed by radiology (and having the resident apologize)
The worst moments have been:
Cathing a 3yr old girl - sutures on a 4yr old boys forehead - watching the 4yr old get sedated with Ketamine and repacking her abscess - Patients who are irritated I'm "just a student" and don't want to see me (but what's new) - saying the PR interval is normally 4 seconds ( instead of .4 - that one was really bad. The 4 PA's in the room just about died laughing at me) Calling the wound culture swab a "wand" that one got some chuckles as well.
All in all it's been a really great opportunity to be here and I'm going to make the most out of my last 2 weeks here. This weekend I will be preparing for a "super pimp session" on EKG's I have demanded in order to redeem myself for the PR interval debacle. I'll update as to my success or failure.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you're so happy! So fun that you get to drain/clean abscesses, I know how much you love that nastiness! ;-) So sad to have sweet kids in the ER, but isn't amazing what you can do for them? SO AWESOME you found something that the resident missed...you really ARE a Ninja!!

    What's a PR interval? I want in on the joke...even though it's on you. ;-)

    Can't believe it's almost over....it's just that much closer to you being done, and being HOME! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PR interval is the first little hump on an EKG measuring the voltage and time it takes for the atria to contract, it should be .12 -.2 seconds(in four seconds your entire heart should have contracted like 6 times) what I meant to say was .4 which is still wrong but not as ridiculous as 4 seconds.
    I love you and I miss you and in 99 days I will be home for 3 weeks of vacation bliss!!!

    ReplyDelete