Today is my birthday and though I am far from home ( well not actually that far only 480 miles, but still) I had a pretty darn good B-day. My loving and considerate mother got in her car at 3am Sunday morning to drive up here to see me for my birthday. I drove her around the city and attempted to show her downtown without realizing it was the day of the Iron Man competition up here (which made the city chaos) so that was'nt happening. Instead we had a picnic in the local park, layed in the warm sun, looked for shapes in the clouds and talked for hours. Then I introduced my sheltered mother to Cold Stone ice cream, mmmmm deliciousness in a creamy, decadent, tummy acheingly, good cup from heaven! This morning she wished me Happy Birthday and sent me off to work.
Today I got to do my fist I & D (incision and drainage) on a wicked awesome abcess! I've been waiting 6 weeks to get something with a little gore to it and how coincidental it finally happen on my birthday! I did learn that when pressing on the abcess be sure to stand diagonal to the hole you've made otherwise you get sprayed with chunks of sebum and a beige colored stream of puss. I know I'm a freak show and I get a not-so-secret pleasure from really gross stuff like watching a mountain of red flesh with a flow of yellowy, cream colored ooze out from an incision I just made. And I understand that it's odd I get a giddy enjoyment from rupturing the pockets of fluid and squeezing the surrounding tissue so a shower of a chunky mixture of blood and exudate comes exploding out of the hole. I get it. But I look a it this way... If it were me I would rather have someone who was excited to see my infected mound and enjoyed relieving my suffering than someone who was grossed out and disgusted by what they were being forced to do because it is unfortunately thier job. So yes I'm a freak but you should be glad I am!
So after my exhilerating day at the office I came home to decide how I should spend my birthday evening all alone. I was all set to have a nice sushi dinner by myself when Travis the son of my landlord/roommate Rich invited me upstairs for dinner. It was a nice surprise to enjoy a bbq dinner on the patio on a warm summer evening with some much welcomed company. Now I'll settle in for an evening of red wine and movie time. So today turned out to be a very good birthday, considering I'm away from everyone I love.
So happy that your awesome mommy came to visit!
ReplyDeleteYou are so gross about that nasty stuff....but, you're so right! I would much rather have someone who loves doing it (do it) than someone who is about to puke! Glad you're enjoying everything, and so nice of the boys to ask you to hang out.
Holy poop Batman!!! I just realized you're in town in this weekend!!!!!!!! Wahooooo!!!!! I hope I get to see you!